Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

The most unexpected change

I expected my body to be different after having a baby.  I mean, I've studied enough human anatomy (usually of the long-dead kind) to know that having a baby leaves traces in YOUR VERY BONES! [insert dramatic organ music here]

("organ music" *snort* I'm punny!)

But I didn't expect my taste buds to change.

That's just messed up.

We have a great organic micro-brewery on the island.  And I've been looking forward to having me a big ol' glass of Rise (pronounced Reez-ah) beer (pronounced beer) since last summer.

Only now it tastes like soap.  SOAP!!

It's not the glass.  After my aborted beer attempt at home, I tried some of my husband's beer at Kongesgade 34, the restaurant we frequented on Wednesday nights (until this week it had a two-for-one hamburger special on Wednesday nights so we could afford it - but give it a go if you're on the island, local organic food served there, good stuff) and the soap taste was still there.

WTF???

Even regular beer now has a slightly soapy taste.  But the cheaper the beer, the less the soapy taste.  I'm now doomed to cheap crap beer!!  The Danish Boy is so disappointed in me.  But it means he gets all the Rise beer to himself and can just buy me a case of whatever is cheapest.  Damn him.

But one doesn't lose the joy of beer without getting something in return.  Had you asked me a year ago how I felt about pineapple I would have said, "ugh, only in a piña colada and only if you are heavy handed with the rum... and the coconut milk... and did I mention rum?"

But guess what?

I've been eating pineapple.

I *know*!  WTH!  And my favorite ice creams are all nut based, like walnut or pistachio and my favorite ice cream bar is a juice bar with cream interior - chocolate doesn't even really land in the top 10!  I had Chips Ahoy cookies the other day... and I liked them.  Normally I would turn up my nose because of the serious lack of chocolate or even chocolate flavor, but now the lack of chocolate is in it's favor.

It's like the world is ending or something!  Has hell frozen over??

I'm terrified to discover what I dislike or like next.  What if I lose my deep abiding love of avocados??  Or start liking shrimp??

What if I discover I like... BANANAS???

5 comments:

  1. I think the beer soap taste would very well kill me. I am so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be worse, a friend of mine became allergic to peanuts after having her baby, and found out the hard way with a trip to the ER, but yeah...shame about the beer. I'm allergic to beer but I do like the taste of some. It was a sad, sad day when I discovered it was the Guiness that made me feel like something the cat dragged in.

    Aaand...you don't like bananas? How can one not like bananas?

    PS. If you don't already do this, then try fresh pineapple with a bit of salt sprinkled on it. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Maybe it is a temporary sleep deprivation thing? Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:11 AM

    "Don't let me eat pears. I hate pears! John Smith is a character I made up, but I won't know that, I'll think I am him, and he might do something stupid like eat a pear. In three months, I don't want to wake up from being human and taste _that_."

    ;)

    My taste buds and sense of smell are back to normal now, but they were crazy in my first trimester. I couldn't eat or drink things I used to like because suddenly I was aware of the tiniest nuances of flavor that would ruin some of my favorite foods. Also I could tell the milk was going off _days_ before Alan could, which meant I had a very limited amount of time after buying a new gallon before it was virtually undrinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL janetlin! A million cool points for you! I wonder if I should try fish fingers and custard?

    I didn't have any food aversions during pregnancy or smell aversions. I just craved salty, then sweet, then sweet and salty, then anything I could get my hands on.

    I'm also glad that I didn't develop any food allergies. My god, what if I couldn't eat peanut butter any more! That would be unbearable.

    I'm working hard at getting my taste for beer back. But my god, why do they put so much beer in each bottle??

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, don't be mean....