Pages

Friday, July 01, 2005

CPR is more than cardio-pulmonary resuscitation!

Denmark - the welfare state. For those of you who have been begging the US for national health care, no one does it like the Danes. Take for instance my case. I am in Denmark on a student visa for a year. Well, if you are going to be in the country for that long and you have a visa you can sign up for a CPR number, which is like our social security number, but way more cool. Your CPR number allows you to check books out of the library, get a bank account, and gives you access to free health care. Yes, FREE health care. I don't pay taxes, I could vote if I wanted to (another perk of the CPR number), and should I break my leg I am fully covered. Thomas points out, with just a hint of sarcasm, that this is what his 50% income tax goes toward, insuring poor guest students, among other things. Me, I am just so proud to be part of this welfare state, where I don't have to put anything in to get something out! Of course, Denmark will not be able to keep doing this forever, more than half of the population doesn't work (that's not a 50% unemployment rate; this includes children and retired persons) - meaning that one half supports the other half. Eventually something will have to give. But until that day happens I will relax knowing that my ass is covered, for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, don't be mean....