Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The kitchen sink recipe I think I may have perfected

So I've had this "Oven Frittata" recipe in my files for some time. The first time I made it, it was a disaster. The wonky oven might have had something to do with it. The second time I made it, earlier this week, we were definitely closer to the truth. Last night, I whipped it up again and I think I finally got it all worked out. I even tried to figure out the proportions so that I could write it down and post it for you all. And myself. If I don't write it down I'll never remember.

This may become a common recipe in my portfolio. It was easy and very good.

Serves only the two of us. But we tend to just pile it on our plates and forget the side dishes. After all, all the possible side dishes just went into the dish.

Ingredients
1/2 tsp olive oil (for greasing a baking dish)
2 cups (500 ml, not grams, use a measuring cup) macaroni or other shaped pasta
1 or 2 leeks or a bunch of spring onion, chopped I suppose you could use some other onion... or none at all.... but I really suggest getting a leek just for this recipe, it's a LOVELY addition.
4 cups of frozen vegetables any combination of veg is good, corn and peas for example, or wok mix, which is what I had in my freezer last night
1 red pepper optional, especially if you go with wok mix
3 eggs
200 ml milk (just under a cup) Can you tell that I have a strange mixture of measuring devices in my kitchen?
1 tbsp HEAPING of fresh thyme OR 1 tsp HEAPING of dried thyme possibly even a bit more, I get a good pile in my palm and chuck it in
2 cups or 200 g of shredded cheese the recipe says chedder, but you know what, mozzerella is also very nice
2 tbsp grated parmesan ran out of this, didn't notice a problem
salt and pepper to taste although, you will be adding it to raw egg, so you can't REALLY taste and check, so maybe about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 pepper... go with your gut

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). Grease a baking dish with olive oil. Check and make sure that the dish can hold 8 cups or 2 liters of liquid first. It sucks when you use too small of a dish and then run around the kitchen trying to find another pan. Not that that's EVER happened to me. Pshaw!
2. Cook pasta in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Add all the veg and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Drain and tip everything into the baking dish and mix well.
3. Beat together eggs, milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Add most of the cheese. Pour into the dish and mix gently. Scatter the rest of the cheese on top. The liquid mixture should come almost up to, but not over the top layer of pasta and veg. If it doesn't, you may need to whip up another bit of egg and milk and thyme. I am lazy so I don't, I've had almost an inch of pasta and veg showing and it's still okay to eat. A little crispy, but still okay.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool for a few minutes. Serve with salad. Unless you live in Denmark where there is no salad, in which case you serve with whatever you want or nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, don't be mean....