Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

And for tonight's glorious feast!

I'm going American.

'Cause I just spent $10 for a jar of Jif and $15 on a six pack of A&W Root Beer. I'm eyeing the $12 box of Bisquik.

I have to calculate the cost, because if I don't, I'll just keep buying stuff because it's there. I probably didn't NEED to buy the peanut butter, I can get Jif in Israel, so it's not like my whole life has gone Jif-less. But sometimes a girl really needs a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I just can't bring myself to do that with gourmet peanut butter (which pound for pound might actually be cheaper than the Jif, but leave me my delusions, kthnx).

Anyway, the root beer was a real treat. I have vanilla ice cream in the fridge. I have tall fill-me-up-with-root-beer-floaty-goodness glasses. And a balcony.

Yessir-ee-bob, I'll be sticky and sunburned by tomorrow night, mark my words!

Anyway... about tonight's glorious feast. It involves NEITHER root beer or peanut butter. Because I'm perverse like that. It will be oven-baked hot wings (or thighs because they have wingless chickens here in Denmark) (unless somewhere there are people wondering why all they ever get in the supermarket is wings and no thighs) with french-fries and home-made blue cheese dressing.

Because the only downside to having to make all your own American food is discovering that most of it is better when you make it yourself. Ranch and blue cheese are two of those things. Except Jensen's Bøfhuset (or something like that) - which makes a MEAN ranch and if you ever see it in the store, buy and and mail it to me. They used to sell it in my store, but then they stopped. I think I licked the last bottle clean. It's the best stuff to put on raw carrots, no lie. I have no idea what it tastes like on salad, it never gets that far. And I don't care what you say, blue cheese dressing is NOT just ranch with blue cheese and "hvidløg" is not ranch. Nor is "creme fraise dressing". Nope. Not ranch. And even if they WERE ranch, I am NOT dumping blue cheese into them to make some half-assed blue cheese dip. Alas, I don't particularly care for the American brand of salad dressings they're selling in the supermarket. I'll just keep making my own ranch and my own blue cheese.

Returning to tonights dinner. I am going to try to take pictures of the process. I took pictures of some other stuff too, like my exploded kitchen, my office pre-move, some random cooking shots and a really great graffito (singular of graffiti). All I need is to find the damned camera cables. Figure out how to get them onto the computer... and then I'll slap them up here. But the biggest challenge is already complete: I took photos. Hurrah for me!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:35 PM

    Hate to tell you this - Netto has organic peanut butter (creamy or crunchy) for 13 kroner a jar this week. Hurry and buy a stash! I bought a case myself. But I recognize your splurge. Just splurged on Dr. Peppers and salt and vinegar chips myself. Was just reaching for the aunt Jemima, when the 70 (wtf?) kroner price scared me off. Guess I*ll just stick to the REAL maple syrup I buy elsewhere.

    Oh, just made fish tacos for the first time tonight! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried all that Danish PB and it is awful...like oily sand! LOL
    "choosy moms choose JIF"..there is nothing like it!
    You are eating expensive American delights tonight and so are we!! Mads had his first BEN AND JERRY´S!!!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always though PBJ was an English thing, ignorant me. Ate a lot of them growing up and assumed it was something the brits left behind in India.
    My dane has yet to eat one!! He ahd never heard of it when i forst mentioned it. Imagine little danish crawly babies growing up without PBJ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my kids has started eating PBJ sandwiches. I think she picked it up from Hannah Montana or something of that calibre.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, don't be mean....